Bamberg

 

Bamberg is on the river Regnitz close to its confluence with the river Main. It is where the Main-Danube Canal takes off. The town is divided into three parts: the Regnitz plain, then one large and several small islands formed by two arms of the Regnitz, and finally the part of town on the hills. Bamberg extends over seven hills, each crowned by a beautiful church: their names are Cathedral Hill, Michaelsberg, Kaulberg/Obere Pfarre, Stefansberg, Jakobsberg, Altenburger Hill and Abtsberg. The German philosopher Hegel lived here, and Bamberg was the second city (after Mainz) to introduce book-publishing. In 1973, the town celebrated the 1000th anniversary of its founding. The historic city center is a listed UNESCO world heritage site.

    

The tanner needed to be by the river, so he could throw waste directly there. Not so, the modern market.
  

This is the original Gothic seat of the municipal authorities, the town hall. The half-timbered structure of the Rottmeisterhaus, which seems to be gliding over the waves of the river Regnitz, was added in 1688.
      

 The old ...                                                            and the new - or should it be new-ish!
 

Remember that you are looking at Bamberg photos.