Koblenz ia a bustling regional garrison town and former Roman trading settlement that grew up at a point where the Rhine River meets the River Mosel. The name Koblenz comes from a Latin word for confluence, the place where two rivers come together. The Treaty of Verdun was signed here in 843 to carve up Charlemagne's empire. The town became a city in the 13th century and served as a haven for French refugees during the French Revolution. From the Middle Ages until the 19th Century, it was the seat of the powerful archbishops-electors of Trier. A giant equestrian statue of Emperor Wilhelm I (designed originally in 1897, destroyed during WWII, and rebuilt in 1993) stands at the German Corner at the point where the Rhine and Mosel meet. Across the river, on the heights where people are transported by aerial gondola, stands the mighty fortress of Ehrenbreitstein.

(L) See the different colors of the Rhine (foreground) and the Mosel. (R) the German Corner with statue. The photo (L) was taken from the fortress Ehrenbreitstein; (R) from the gondola over the Rhine.

(L) The German Corner from gondola.                          (R) Gondola cresting Ehrenbreitstein fortress.

The rooster (from the Gospel's 'cock crowing   The logo of Koblenz's water department. The Spitting Boy is
three times') atop the steeple indicates a       actually called Spitting John who represents all the bastard
Protestant church.                                       sons of invading French soldiers. This shows the town’s                                                                 dislike for foreign authority.


At the German Corner are three original concrete components of the Berlin Wall, established as a monument to reunion. Bronze plates are affixed to the components and the inscriptions are: "17. Juni 1953", "9. November 1989" and "Den Opfern der Teilung". 17th of June 1953 was the date of the 1st attempt of the reunion between Western and Eastern Germany. This national uprising was violently suppressed by Soviet tanks and many people died on that sad day. 9th of November 1989 was the day when the Berlin Wall finally came down and Eastern Germany opened its borders to the West.
"Den Opfern der Teilung" means "Dedicated to the victims of separation".


That evening, Rudesheim

& a dinner in a local restaurant




Remember that you are looking at Koblenz photos.